Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, Causes and Prevention!
A disease is an illness that affects living organisms. A situation that prevents the body to work normally. The disease is a personal abnormal condition that poorly affects the structure or function of a part of the organisms. Moreover, imperfections and disorders are caused by organisms such as bacteria, viruses, fungi, etc. Some organisms are harmless or even helpful but under fewer conditions, some organisms may cause disease.
All kids deserve high-quality medical care. As a parent, it is very significant to be aware of the most up-to-date treatment guidelines and to understand child present condition so you can be sure your child is getting good care.
Some very common diseases during childhood are as follows:
- Mild Fever
- Sore Throat
And many more, these are common diseases and parents are well known about these. They know how to cure them and take care of their babies. In short, these diseases are very common that every second person knows and Parents are mentally prepared to take care of there lucky gems from these common diseases.
However, some diseases in the world need awareness and parents need to know about them deeply.
SIDS stands for Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. SIDS is the most unexpected and unexplained death, of a seemingly healthy baby. This disease may occur in the age of less than one year. Mostly these deaths are related to sleep that is why it’s sometimes called “crib death”. As it is not much common so 60% of parents are not known to this disease. Whereas it is more common in boys than in girls. It more likely affects in the first four months after baby born and mostly death occurs in early spring months or fall winters.
Watch complete video HERE :
Please Subscribe to NOORULAINALI VLOGS on youtube!
How SIDS is diagnosed?
Deaths that are not named by any diseases or even investigation the reasons are not clear it leads toward SIDS. Researchers claimed that SIDS is associated with problems in the ability of the baby to evoke from sleep. These disabilities may low the oxygen level and high carbon dioxide blood levels. Mostly these deaths are related to sleep that is why it’s sometimes called “crib death”.
Factors that increase the risk of SIDS:
With the help of a lot of research, we come to the point there are not proper causes but several steps can be done to reduce the risk of SIDS and other sleep-related issues.
- Always place your baby on his/her back whenever he/she sleeps or takes a nap or at night. Never let your baby sleep at his /her stomach. Sleeping on the back is the safest and most convenient position to sleep at the age of less than one. Try to make this your baby habit to sleep onto his back because your child will remain safe during sleep. •Breastfeed your baby to decrease the risk of SIDS. Breastfeed has many benefits for both mother and baby. As it is all-natural so this process is healthy for baby and keeps the risk very lower. Long duration feeds prevent fewer risks. If you and your baby sleep during feed than immediately change babies’ position towards its back, or towards baby comfort zone because suffocation increases the risk of SIDS.
- Mothers who smoke or drinking alcohol during pregnancy, have three times more risk of SIDS. Parents should take care of this thing that doesn’t smoke near your baby or don’t smoke during your pregnancy. Because if you smoke during pregnancy you will be the reason for all consequences.
- Share your room with your tot. Keep baby close to you. Don’t let him/her sleep in an adults room. More your baby is near to you more he/she is safe.
- Provide your baby peaceful environment with suffocation. Don’t fill up your baby’s couch with all stuff toys, blanket or any string-like toys. Whenever your baby sleeps or takes a nap to provide him/her airy and well ventilated environmental room.
- Do Not Let you, baby, too hot while sleeping. Don’t overpack your baby. Pack him /her in a decent way and according to weather conditions. Never cover babies’ heads and faces while sleeping. Set room temperature towards normal. Too much hot body increases the risk of SIDS. Moreover, you can check babies body temperature if he is sweating or just by checking the chest part of it’s hot then bring the body temperature towards normal.
- Let your baby sleep on a flat surface. Don’t over pollute the environment by putting attractive toys near him/her. Flat surfaces are more preferable because your baby will have rest and oxygen will provide to all parts of the body. Don’t lay your baby on sofas, chairs or any other thing.
- Provide your baby vaccines by following the rule of health guidelines centers. Vaccines not only protect your baby but also lessen the risk of SIDS.
- Mothers who are less than 20 years, at the time of their first pregnancy. Mothers who decide an early baby or due to some pressure they decide to have baby earlier doubles the risk of SIDS.
- Babies born to a mother with no prenatal care. Same as a baby born premature or with low birth weight increases the risk of SIDS.
How SIDS occurs?
The “Triple-Risk-Model” has been formulated to know the reason why SIDS occurs. This model holds three conditions those are as follows:
- The baby has an abnormality that causes him/her towards low oxygen or high carbon dioxide blood levels
- The baby is endangered to unwanted circumstance such as letting him/her sleep on stomach.
- These events occur during baby development i.e first 6 months after baby born.
How could SIDS be prevented?
As we know, childcare and health centers are still in research for the basic causes of SIDS, there is presently no way to prevent SIDS but yes some you can greatly reduce the risk of SIDS by:
- Putting your baby sleep onto his back
- Not smoking and drinking during pregnancy duration.
- Don’t smoke near your baby and don’t allow any other person in the house to smoke near the baby.
- By setting the room temperature medium
- Using a firm sleep surface and keeping all fluffy and long string toys away from his crib.
Many parents are unaware of this disease as we know that parent’s awareness is a family-focused program that furnishes bolster up and education to parents and children to cheer up the heath and development. Make sure everyone who is taking good care of your babies must know the risk of SIDS and other sleep-related causes of death.
Hope it helps !